Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 22:01:09 +1200

Hi

David has made the following comment about the two abstracts I posted to
the List concerning research on wheat-starch based 'gluten free' diets:

'Please note' ( he states ) 'that neither of these studies was
"double-blind" - a requirement for valid results.'

But the Finnish paper ( Maki et al ) that David referred to in his
original post several days ago was not "double-blind" either.
Can't have it both ways!

I have thoroughly searched the medical literature and have found no
"double-blind" research on the effects - or otherwise - of  Codex
quality wheat-starch based diets. If "double-blind" research exists I'd
appreciate details.

In the ( likely ) absence of such research, we can only rely on
"non-double-blind" research outcomes and any other available competent
clinical opinion that comes to hand.

On this basis there is both published research and competent medical
opinion claiming that, for some coeliacs, a Codex wheat-starch based
diet can be detrimental to health. Although the Finnish researchers
(1999) found no adverse reaction to Codex wheat-starch, the Canadian
(1997) and Australian (1999) researchers did identify adverse reactions.

I have a personal medical-legal opinion on file written by an expert on
CD which includes the statement:

'The other matter of relevance here is that there has been a problem in
the past with some coeliac patients having difficulty with X' ( a named
Codex quality wheat starch based product. ) 'A number of patients who
were still symptomatic despite using this product....lost their symptoms
and regained their expected normal health by switching to another
product.'

This posting is not designed to upset people. However, if coeliacs on a
Codex quality wheat-starch based diet do experience health problems of
one sort or another, they might profitably consider switching to a non
wheat-starch based GF diet.

Graeme
NZ