From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 09:38:14 -0500

I have been asked:

  Can you tell the celiac list what the unique qualities are of
  your Bread mix?  Any ideas on a substitute for the buttermilk
  for those of us who can't eat milk products?

The bread mix is for a "no rice, no corn" bread which can be used in
rotation with other kinds of bread, to help reduce the chance of
developing allergies to rice or corn by depending on them too much. (On
the other hand, you don't want to depend on my recipe too much or you
may develop a sensitivity to the bean flour, as I did; I'm having to
take 6 months off from using it myself!) The bean flour and almonds add
a better balance of nutrition to the bread, as well as body and flavor.
I find the bread to be similar to my old favorite whole wheat recipe.

As for the buttermilk mix, you can take that out and instead put in
those dried potato flakes you use to make instant mashed potatoes; or if
you don't trust the mono- and diglycerides often found in them, you can
substitute actual mashed potatoes (made without milk, of course); in
equal quanitity in any recipe. You can even just leave out the
buttermilk mix but you will get a less "tender" product that goes stale
more quickly (tenderness and "keeping qualities" are what buttermilk --
or potatoes -- add to a recipe).

--
Linda Blanchard
http://www.ccgs.com