From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:25:13 -0500

Posted for Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
Executive Director, Gluten Intolerance Group

A big thank you is due to everyone who spent time to contact their
Senators and Representatives to support the food allergen legislation
introduced by Senator Kennedy (D-MA) and Representative Lowey (D-NY).
Congress adjourned in November without the full Senate or House taking
action on the bill.

All legislation must be reintroduced in the new congress, beginning
in Jan. 2003. Because of the elections, Kennedy will no longer head
the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP).
Senator Judd Gregg (R-NH) will be the Chairman.

While we will continue to work with the new Congress to try to pass
this important federal legislation, we are also evaluating and p
ursuing options that would strengthen this legislation before Congress.

We would like to work with you and others interested in gluten and
food allergy labeling problems to have similar legislation introduced
and ultimately passed in one or more states. We are making this effort
in conjunction with other organizations with similar interests, in
order to maximize the message and success of our efforts. If you would
like to join this effort, please contact us by email at
[log in to unmask] We will then work with you and others from your
state on a strategic plan for discussion and enactment by your state
legislature.

To help you in your efforts, we will also provide you with a model
bill for your state similar to the bill originally introduced by
Senator Kennedy and Representative Lowey.

I look forward to continuing to work with you on this important
public health issue.

Sincerely,

Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
Executive Director, Gluten Intolerance Group
Dietitians in Gluten Intolerance Chairman (DIGID)
206-246-6652
206-246-6531 Fax
www.gluten.net