From:
Andy Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:47:35 -0500

Question:  Is Pepsid AC GF?

& Johnson, would not guarantee it is gf.

I followed up with the consumer info number 1-800-755-4008, inquiring
specifically about the CAPLETS.  (Note, the tablets contain "starch."
The caplets contain "corn starch.")  The person at Merck told me they do
not add any gluten to the caplets, but can not be sure what their
suppliers do.  We have all heard that before, haven't we.

The ingredients in the caplets are:  benzyl alcohol, black iron oxide,
butylparaben, castor oil, edetate calcium disodium, FD&C Red #40,
gelatin, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, magnesium stearate,
methylparabel, microcrystaline cellulose, pregelatinized corn starch,
propylene glycol, propylparaben, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium
proprionate, talc, titanium dioxide.

Because the caplets are very small, because the ingredients look ok, and
because we'll only be taking them for three months and will be having a
biopsy immediately end of that three month period (for another
condition, but it will tell us if there has been villi damage), we're
going to go ahead and take them, but that's only a personal decision and
I'm not advising anyone else to do it.

Again, please note the inert ingredients in the caplets are not the same
as the inert ingredients in the tablets.

Andy Thomson
Chicago