From:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 07:58:14 -0600

Thank you all so much for your many suggestions about shopping in
Oriental Markets.  Here are the items that you suggested:

tapioca starch -- 69 cents per pound=20
glutinous rice flour -- 59 cents per pound  (same as sweet rice flour I =
think)
sweet rice flour =20
potato starch
white rice flour
yam flour
taro flour
sweet potato flour (same as yam flour??)
fufu flour
plantain flour
lotus root flour
corn starch
chick pea flour (Chanal Dal Graham flour) - Indian

Thai or Vietnamese rice noodles (usually labeled for sale in US with
   ingredients listed in English)
Thai or Vietnamese spring roll wraps
bean threads (noodles)
Chinese rice sticks (noodles)
Chinese rice noodles called miafun or siafun
potato starch noodles
assorted rice pastas
assorted soy produts for soups
soba noodles - from pure buckwheat, but may have wheat flour added
Chao Ching Rice Sticks -- just pour boiling water over them and let sit
   for a couple of minutes -- easier than wheat pasta
Poha - rice flakes for cereal, substitute for oatmeal in recipes

Rice crackers from Taiwan called WantWant (person was wheat intolerant
   not celiac so read label)

unusual fruit and vegetables such as calamunden, mangoes, chayote
   squash
other veggies - greens, long beans, sprouts, baby cucumbers, fresh
   bamboo shoots, unusual mushrooms
pickled cucumbers in a bag in refrigerator case (whole or chunk)
canned straw mushrooms
pickled baby corn in cans or  fresh in produce section
lentils, beans, chickpeas
dried Asian mushrooms
fresh or dried Asian vegetables

Vietnamese meat balls (read labels as not all are GF)
fresh fish and seafood, including sushi
Dried shimp and dried squid

rice (10 pounds for $25)
many other different kinds of rice
sticky rice

teas such as jasmine (loose leaf and bags)

soy sauce - check label for GF kind
teriyaki sauce - check label for GF
fish sauce
sweet chili sauce - says use for chicken, but uses on red meat
patika curry paste -- if you like hot stuff, mostly all are GF

cookies made from sweet puffed rice
tapioca flour cookies

rice candy -- takes forever to read labels to make sure GF

thin rice paper to make your own nougat -- someone makes nougat using
   nuts, glace cherries, or fruit, honey and glucose

candied ginger - great cooked with sweet potatoes and orange juice
toasted sesame seeds

agar agar -- thickening agent from seaweed

Pappadums -- flat Indian bread made from lentils, rice or chick pea
   flour and almost always GF

Other suggestions were to keep with labels/stickers that are translated
into English.

Also, try an Oriental cooking class -- maybe as a couple.  They are lots
of fun.

Buy a good Asian cookbook and/or watch Yan Can Cook or Ming Tsai on
cooking networks for recipes/tips.

Beware of sauces and dips unless you can read the labels.

Not all labels can be trusted.  Ask the shopkeeper and hopefully they
can translate to English.

One person buys large quantities of flour and marks with date purchased
and stores in freezer.  Freezes well.

Half sweet rice flour and half white rice flour works well in cookies.
Use 1/4 sweet rice flour and 3/4 white rice flour for coffee cakes, etc.

One person mentioned that they had a problem with getting contaminated
flour at an Oriental Market and got sick.

I hope that you all find these tips as helpful as I did.  I can't wait
for my first trip to the Oriental Market.  I better plan to have lots of
time for my first visit.

Thank you all again.  I don't know what I would do without you.

Barbara in Illinois