From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:55:22 -0500

I received this copy of the article in Nov Gourmet magaine.

      Sweets Without Wheat
      What do you do when your main ingredient is off-limits? One woman developed recipes that were all the more tasty

            RECIPES
          !

            Brown-Rice Flour Mix

            Chocolate Chip Cookies

            Lemon Layer Cake

            Pizza Crust

      A promise of "baked goods" is the quickest way to round up the troops here at Gourmet, but add! ing the phrase "gluten-free" would typically produce the opposite effect. Imagine our surprise, then, when a recent delivery of chocolate chip cookies that disappeared as fast as they'd appeared, as well as a lighter-than-air lemon layer cake, turned out to be gluten-free.

      Former marketer Annalise Roberts began experimenting with recipes devoid of gluten because she wanted to make her 12-year-old son, who had just developed an intolerance, his favorite cookies. She discovered that there's a definite art to replacing all-purpose flour. "Wheat flour imparts an incredible amount of flavor," says Roberts. To take its place, she blends brown-rice and tapioca flours, potato starch, and natural gums to minimize the undesirable effects of each, and to approximate the flavor and mouthfeel we expect from baked goods. (To learn more, see Kitchen Notebook.)

      "There were pioneers before me who mixed flours,"! she says. "But they often recommended a different blend for each cake or cookie. I developed a basic combination that works with most of my recipes - it's hard enough to find time to bake without having to measure out eighteen kinds of flour." We think Roberts's recipes are worth making, even if allergies are not an issue. "The cookies have a light, delicate crispness," says senior food editor Kemp Minifie. "Anyway, we're so conditioned in this country to use wheat flour for everything; maybe mixing in different kinds of flours would give our bodies a break from the daily wheat grind."

      - Lesley Porcelli, Gourmet, November 2005