From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 17:47:59 -0400

Wow, what a great response to my question about the toughness of GF oats when making a fruit crisp. There were definitely two camps:

Put your oats in a food processor and pulse at achieve a desired thickness.

Add a little liquid/soak your oats in milk or sub, apple juice, etc. before making the crumb topping. Some folks suggested adding a little liquid directly to the topping mixture as you mix it.

Some said Lara's oats used to be thinner but recent packages were thicker oats. A few said Bob's Red Mill has come out with GF instant oats which would be thinner (I haven't seen these yet).

I'll add a few of the comments I got as they did vary a little, but thank you to everyone who responded. I should have figured out this for myself (blush) but I guess I just kept hoping I'd get better results next time. Actually, one way to solve the problem is to bake your dish the day before serving as I noticed this morning that the oats had totally softened overnight from the moisture in the dish. LOL

Joy

***********

I use oats in pancakes, and for me I will soak them in buttermilk for at least an hour before I use them, I am not sure this would work with a crisp, but then I think I might like them firm.  Maybe microwaving them just a few seconds?

Since most of the GF oats on the market are the old fashioned style - they
are a little thicker than the style of oats usually used for fruit crisp. If
you have a food processor or blender - try "chopping" them a bit by
"pulsing" them for a few seconds - not too long as then you will get GF oat
flour. The other thing you could try is to pre-soak the GF oats for about 15
minutes in a small amount of milk or apple juice (1/4c of liquid to a cup of
GF oats). Add the liquid and stir well to distribute the liquid throughout
the oats. You don't want them too moist. This may also result in a "browner"
topping once cooked. I have never done this latter suggestion but routinely
soak GF oats in yogurt for use in muffins.

I use a combination of slivered almonds and coconut as a substitute for oats and everyone thinks it is great.

If I want the oats thinner and more like quick oats, I put them through my grain roller on a thin setting.

The only brand of gf oats I've been able to find that are cut thin enough to use in cookies, cobblers, etc. is the version from Gluten Free Oats (www.glutenfreeoats.com). They are exactly like Quaker quick oats except they're gf. I have to order them but they keep forever in the fridge so I buy the value size bag. Bob's Red Mill gf oats call for soaking to make them softer, but I don't  have time for that. The second thinnest gf oats are from Lara's Rolled Oats. (google for their website as it escapes me now).