From:
Sylvia Smolorz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:22:37 -0500

Thanks to everybody who responded to my question about wild rice.
Apparently, the issue is undecided, so I'm posting excerpts from the
original responses.  (One of them was posted to the list, but I'm
including it for completeness.)

"Wherever I have seen wild rice mentioned at all, it is considered
gluten-free. While not related to regular rice, it is an aquatic
grass that is not closely related to wheat either. It's native to
North America. Scott Adams, Michael Jones and several other celiac
support webpage editors list wild rice as safe for celiacs. "

"Every year I receive wild rice for Christmas.  This rice is harvested from
an Indian reservation in northern Minnesota which is grown in a lake.  This
pure rice is a tall grass which is harvested by the Indians in canoes when
green, than is dried and hauled.  It is gluten free.  I have never had any
problems eating it over the many years that it has been part of our family
diet.

However, not all wild rice sold on the market is actually gluten free
because a preservative or an insecticide has been added.  It is best to
avoid the wild rice/white rice mixes as quoted from the CS book form
Omaha."

"I lived for 30 years in Minnesota, where a lot of wild rice is grown
and sent all over the world.  We were always told that wild rice was
a grass closely related to wheat, and not so closely related to rice.
I always react negatively to it and cannot eat it. "

"My understanding is that wild rice is OK."

"I have found that "wild rice" in restaurants frequently includes
barley. Be careful."

"I don't have the answer - but had symptoms the other day after eating
wild rice."

And then there's my German GF cookbook, which claims that wild rice is
a gluten containing grain.

Here's a snip from the web page of Barron Specialties, a company in
Minnesota that grows and sells wild rice:

The wild rice plant is a distinctive type of grass which grows in the water.
It was classified more than 200 years ago and given the Latin name Zizania.
Four species have been identified, and there are several varieties of some
of these. Zizania palustris is the most common species in the northern part
of the United States and in southern Canada. Zizania aquatica is also found
in the northern parts of the same general area and is distinguished from the
more common variety, mainly by having fewer flowers and seeds. Often, wild
rice that is found for sale (both lake and commercially grown) is labeled
Zizania aquatica. However, both lake rice and commercially grown rice is
actually Zizania palustris.  Z. texana is a species found in a small area in
Texas. Z. latifolia is found in Manturia, Korea, Burma, and northeastern
India, and is quite different from American wild rice.</fontfamily>"