Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:32:55 EDT

On 6/2/00 a letter was posted regarding O'Lunney's restaurant in NYC. It
read:

    Was very pleasantly surprised at O"Lunney's Restaurant on W 46th St. just
off Broadway. When I started to order, going thru the usual explanation,
the waitress said "Oh, you're Celiac". They knew all about it. All the
wait-staff is  Irish. "Oh   yes, one in four of us is Celiac. We know ALL
about it...no problem".

We took a trip to NYC three weeks ago and made a point to visit O'Lunney's
since it is right off of Times Square. Our waitress didn't have any idea what
we were talking about when we mentioned gluten-free foods or Celiac. She
brought the manager over and my daughter, my husband, and I all tried to
explain what it was all about and about the letter. They looked at us like we
had two heads! After the third explanation failed, the manager  said "If you
could just explain what you are talking about maybe we could help". I don't
know what language we could have used to make it any clearer but, obviously,
neither of them had ever heard of the problem. We left feeling sort of like
idiots!

The next night I called the restaurant and spoke to another manager thinking
maybe it was just the people on duty that particular night. I had the same
problem again. Not a clue!

So, if anyone is going to NYC, here's the address and phone #. I would call
ahead if I were you!  Good luck.

O'Lunney's Times Square Pub
151 W. 46th St.
#(212)840-6688