Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 00:33:31 -0400

<<Has anyone ever researched products from the Boston Popcorn Company?  I
have not been able to reach anyone who can answer whether or not they
have any gf products. The only telephone number I have is 617.828.4100
for the Boston's Better Snacks distribution center.>>

Funny that you mention this. Just yesterday I wrote my fifth and final letter
to Boston's Better Snacks , as all my previous inquiries have gone
unanswered. I've been eating their caramel popcorn for the last year figuring
innocent until proven guilty (I know I'll catch hell for that one, but my
antibodies just came back all negative so I definitely agree that there seems
to be different levels of sensitivity amongst Celiacs). In the letter, I
mentioned that this is my last and final request for info before I
discontinue their products as I assumed the label on their packaging "we
welcome all comments" means just that. Apparently not!
As a side note, I just received a reply today from a company whose Brown
Sugar I used to bake with, regarding their gf status. The following was their
reply in a nutshell:
"We use Molasses as a coloring/flavoring agent. Gluten does naturally exist
in molasses and the amt of it depends on where the product is developed. We
purchase molasses from many sources, however the molasses product is always
derived from sugar cane. We use the molasses to paint or coat white
granulated sugar to create our brown sugar products. The darker the sugar,
the more molasses it has. Please follow up with your physician......"
To tell you the truth, I'm still not sure if they are saying their molasses
has gluten or not. If their molasses is always derived from sugar cane,then
what are they really saying? Any Clues?
But back to the question of the caramel popcorn (it's so easy to get
sidetracked with all of this mumbo jumbo), I would assume that the molasses
in the Boston's Caramel Popcorn, as sad as it is to admit it, may perhaps
have the same gluten issue as the brown sugar.
If I get any word from my request of info to Boston's., I will be sure to
post it.
Until then, skip the caramel, who needs the extra sugar anyway. (Or if you
have a sweet tooth, as I'm sure many of you have noticed that I do, "Just
Born" candies are all made from a corn modified food starch and syrup-
Marshmallow Peeps, Hot Tamales, Mike N Ikes, etc. If you want more info, send
me a private E-mail at [log in to unmask]
:)   Leslie- NYC