From:
Sherri Christianson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

Hello Everyone-
  My husband has type I diabetes (27years) and has tentatively been
diagnosed with celiac disease (<6mos). Last night he had a severe insulin
reaction requiring me to administer a glucagon injection for the first time
in the 11 years that I have known him.  He is vigilant about monitoring his
blood sugar levels (testing with a glucometer 6 to 8 times each day).  This
is the second really severe reaction in the past month (the first time he
responded to lots of juice concentrate)  which is a higher frequency than
we are used to.  Concurrent with the severe reaction, Greg also experienced
a celiac episode--cramps, diahrea, etc).  My question is:  Is there a
relationship between celiac episodes and low blood sugars?  Does the
intestinal distress of a celiac episode significantly alter the absorption
of glucose--specifically in the form of juice or maple syrup?  Greg's
diabetologist has never heard of celiac disease and his gastroenterologist
doesn't seem to have experience with diabetics. We are still new at the
gluten free diet and are occasionally stumped by lack of information on
product labels--I do most of our cooking from scratch--I believe the last
episode to be triggered by a ground spice (of which I have since emptied my
cupboards!)
   Thanks for any insight.

2nd question:
  Greg's diagnosis is still tentative because he so far refuses intestional
biopsy--however, he has experienced VAST improvement on a gluten free
diet--we first read about celiac disease in a publication called Diabetes
Forecast and didn't realize that going gluten free before biopsy could
potentially sabatoge the usefulness of the biopsy---I've been reading
everything on the list about the recommendations for biopsy--he has still
been having about one celiac episode each week--would a biopsy still be
useful or would he have to go entirely back on a gluten containing diet?

Sorry to go on so long--any information would be greatly appreciated.

--Sherri W. Christianson ([log in to unmask])
  Seal Cove, Maine