From:
ROSALIE JALBERT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 12:20:57 -0500

Just wanted you all to know that the couple from Switzerland had a
wonderful visit to the US.  With everything that was going on around here
with Ron and all, I did the best I could for them. Called Beth Hillson and
she recommended a restaurant in DC plus one other person wrote me with
another DC restaurant recommendation. Also spoke with a Las Vegas resource
person who promised to contact them. Also sent them my CSA shopping guide
along with articles from Lifeline and Spruenik about eating in Disneyland,
plus names of contacts in the states they would be in (from the Celiac List
Serve Chapter and Resource List). Along with that I sent AAA books with
restaurants circled that I knew about.  AND ALSO SENT my return train
ticket from New Jersey as that is where I was when I mailed the package.
You can imagine my surprise when I went to go home the following Sunday and
had no ticket!! <grin>

I received this note last week which I would like to share with all of you
(along with my train ticket).

Dear Mrs. Jalbert,
I want to thank you very much for your help. We had a wonderful holiday in
the States and we are going to leave on Friday, Aug. 2nd, so we are almost
at the end of it unfortunately. We did not have any problems (except for
celiac bread) and I would like to signalize (as I read in an article you
sent to us) Orlando (Magic Kingdom etc.) for the disposibility of the
people working ther. We asked for celiac food and they let us talk directly
with the chef.  Anyone ws wonderful down there. We bought some books on the
argument and will take profit of all the bibliography you have sent to us.
By the way, I would also signalize to you a shop we went in, here in Rhode
Island, which I supposed you already know. It is called Bread and Circus
and they have all kind of stuff for celiac, really wonderful. If I don't
reach you by the time we leave, I will send you a check from Switzerland
for all the expenses you had (shipping charges and so on).
I wish you all the best for you and your husband.
Thank you very much again. We will transmit our experience in Switzerland
through the association to which my girlfriend belongs.

Best regards,
Pintus Salvatore, Chiasso Switzerland

I was away last week. You can imagine my surprise to find his message on my
answering machine that he was here in Johnston, RI visiting his
girlfriend's cousin. I called and spoke with him and he said he had sent
everything but the shopping guide back to me. Received all the next day.

As I have said before, I think we are and can be a valuable service to
Celiacs the world over. I plan to write to Pintus to see where they are
along the way and perhaps we can start some type of temp file "on safe
places to eat"

Thanks to all that sent me notes offering to help them.

And to those who have inquired about Ron, he is holding his own but the
last treatments severely damaged his liver and he is very jaundiced and
weak. We took a vacation last week to let him rest. I actually think he
would have been better at work where he doesn't think about his future and
what is happening to him.  He returned to work today. His prognosis
according to the oncologist, is that he will probably NOT be here to go to
Dallas with me.  I keep planning these little trips as a goal to shoot for.
I'm hoping the oncologist is wrong AGAIN (remember Pebble Beach, Baltimore
 etc.)!!

Hugs to all,
Rosalie
Rosalie Jalbert -Literally living in a State of Hope (Rhode Island)

"Some say we are responsible for those we love.
Others know we are responsible for those who love us."
                                    Nikki Giovanni