Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:27:10 -0500

Hi all,

First, thanks so much for all the great letters and feedback.  Just
knowing others are out there going through this with us makes all the
difference!

Below are the comments I received to my letter (if you missed the
original or need it sent, just let me know!) and a few of my comments.

Thanks again!

Love, Linda

===================

Thank you for a very interesting and I hope for some people, a thought
provoking post.

I also feel the celiac diagnosis and GF diet have been blessings in
disguise, though at times I would agree "mixed blessings".  I know my
diet is much healthier that it would be otherwise as I am very sensitive
and therefore eat no processed foods.  I have learned to love vegetables
and certainly enjoy more fruits than I previously did.  I know I would
not pass up pastries, fried treats, etc.  if I did not have the concern
about gluten.  Were it only for health reasons, I would not be so
determined.  I guess I am one of the "lucky" celiacs that react----it
certainly keeps me honest.  Everyone does not agree with this outlook and
most of the celiacs I know are looking for replacements for the foods
they miss.

On another note, my daughter (also a celiac) breast fed her children for
the first year.  We also with held all gluten from the children for the
first year.  One was diagnosed at age 5 and the younger recently had a
suspicious biopsy at age 4.  We are watching him carefully and if his
mild symptoms continue he will be re-biopsied in the near future.  We
were disappointed in these developments but from the studies it appears
to be genetic and there is probably not much one can do to change the
eventual outcome.  I am consoled the diagnosis was made early with the
oldest child.  She should be spared many of the problems that affect my
daughters and I from delayed diagnoses.

Your attitudes are upbeat and very helpful.

Thank you for sharing,

===================

Thanks for your post -- it is refreshing to read a success story and
a positive attitude  like yours.

Keep up the good work and wishing wellness for you and your family,

====================

I think that you hit on a good point here.  I find that since I went Gf
(5 years) I eat a lot less junk food than most people I know.  I must say
that I never was one for a lot of takeway food, soda's etc.  - mostly
because my family were immigrants to Australia and my parents could never
afford this sort of food with five kids!  However, I find at work and
social events I'm the one munching on carrots, celery, cheese etc while
everyone else is eating deep fried crumbed things and cakes/biscuits.  I
think that by making a lot of things from scratch you also get less
preservatives.

Best wishes,

======================

Love your attitude in dealing with CD.  We have been GF as a family since
our older daughter was diagnosed 4 plus years ago.  Our younger daughter
was diagnosed this past Jan.  Yes, it takes getting used to, and yes it
changes our lifestyle, but the changes do not have to be negative.  And
as far as other health issues?  My kids are rarely sick, and my asthma
has seemed to disappear.  Too bad our health insurance doesn't cover the
natural foods that make us well, but I still would rather spend my money
on good food any day.

Have a great day, and thanks for the day brightener.

[note from me: "I find that going gf (mostly) as a family makes
everything easier. I agree that the boys are rarely sick as well -
perhaps in part due to their getting the nutrients that the mainstream
junk foods lack!  :-)"

=====================

Finally someone is really doing the right way of eating
EATING [ LOTS OF VEGETABLES AND NO MILK ] This is what I've been
talking about for a very long time  Congrat

I can't live on anything by mouth just TPN

When a person with celiac disease has so permanent damage and can no
Longer digest foods even gf then that is the endstage and if they have a
Good doctor he will save their life and put them on tpn = total
Parenteral nutrition  ( through a centeral line into the heart)

Finally my liver is healed and my kidneys nearly died from liver and
Kidney failure, because this disease is a malabsorption  this can happen

[...GLUTEN...IS LIKE EATING RAT POISON. LOL! ]

Beautiful letter!  I feel the same way, so lucky to have celiac.  Thanks
for sharing- I am forwarding your post to my loved ones who don't
understand.

[note from me: "Have you read AGAINST THE GRAIN?  She has a lot of great
ideas (a whole chapter) on what to say to friends and family who are
skeptical."]

congrats on a wonderful attitude!  Please tell me how you go meat free on
a gf diet?  Lots of veggies?