From:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:37:39 -0500

Last week i was in Kenya and met with a friend there who has a company which produces food
items with the goal of adding healthy ingredients and encouraging healthy eating habits.  she was
interested in my diet and asked me some questions.  Can you help me answer her?

1.  Is there any research concerning the prevalence of celiac disease among the African
population?

2.  She has tried to produce very low  or no-wheat pasta (obviously only no wheat and dedicated
equipment would be good enough for celiacs) but she believes less wheat could be good for
many people.  Her question was how to get the pasta to stick together.  I mentioned xanthum and
guar gum, neither of which had she heard about.  She did know of something called arabic gum
(or some thing similar).  does anyone know anything about arabic gum?  Is it GF and does it
work like xanthum gum?

Thanks so much for all your help once again.
Caulene