From:
Irma R DeBruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 22:32:46 -0400

It is somewhat ironic that the same Wall Street Journal that covered
people needing special foods with such total lack of understanding in
the article written by Bernstein in the Weekend section under Taste a
few Fridays ago now has an informative article titled Food Industry is
Adopting Labeling Rules to Warn Against Allergens in Ingredients by Jill
Carroll on page 14B of the Thursday, May 31st paper.

Further research following up on the organizations listed in the article
suggests that the food manufacturers are trying to set up their own
voluntary labeling system before the FDA decides to regulate them. Read
the web sites for the Grocery Manufacturers of America and the National
Food Procesors Association.

Write to the FDA in the ways cited by previous authors.

We need to have all our medical advisors write clarifying that we need
to have barley, rye and oats added to the list of ingredients which must
be labeled. We need them to explain about the celiac auto immune response
which is seriously life threatening in ways that are not as dramatic and
rapid as the allergic response.

Irma