From:
"Barnett, Sarah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 17:42:36 -0500

Though the season may be over in some parts of the US for tomatoes, with
the temperatures around 75 degrees F over this past weekend mine are
still growing.  Thank you all for your responses about what to do with
Green Tomatoes:

SPICED FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

Serve hot from the pan. Serves 3-4
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1TB. freshly grated parmesan cheese
3-4 large green tomatoes
3-4 TB. vegetable oil

1. In a shallow dish or pie pan combine the cornmeal, spices and cheese.
Mix thoroughly.

2. Cut off the ends of the tomatoes, the cut the tomatoes in 3-4 slices,
each about 1/2 inch thick.

3. In a heavy skillet heat the oil over moderately high heat.

4. Dredge the tomato slices in the cornmeal mixture, then fry in the hot
oil, turning once, until nicely browned and crisp on both sides.  Place on
a platter and serve immediately.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The recipes are as follows:
Dilly green tomatoes ( our favorite)
Green tomato pickles
Spiced green tomatoes
Governor"s mixture
Mince meat, green tomato
Green tomato pickles ( from Watkins cookbook)
Chow Chow (like a relish)
Green Tomato relish

   I'll send two recipes to try.  You didn't say how many tomatoes you had
but suppose it was a bumper crop.

 Dilly Green Tomatoes:

  Wash about 3 l/2 pounds small, firm, green tomatoes with stems.  Drain and
pack into hot quart jars. ( I used pint jars for us)  To each quart jar add:
l clove garlic, l branch celery, l hot red pepper (I have used 1/4 to1/2
teaspoon of hot pepper flakes) and l head fresh dill or l teaspoon
dillweed or 2 tablespoon dillseed.

  Combine 2 quarts water, l quart cider vinger (GF), and l/2 cup grandlated
pickling salt.   Bring to boiling; fill hot jars to withing l/2 inch of top.
Adjust lids.  Process in boiling water bath for minutes ( start counting
time when water returns to boil).  This should make about 4 quarts.

If you are a non canner as you state you probably don't have the canner and
tools, see if you can borrow before you go and and spend an amount on any of
these items. good luck!!

For the Green tomato relish I've not made it but have eaten it.

l2 medium to large green tomatoes
l2 sweet green peppers
l2 onions (I would use med size)
l cup salt
l quart vinegar (GF)
l teaspoon mustard (dry)
l teaspoon allspice
l/4 teaspoon red pepper
l cup sugar

Cut peppers into quarters and remove the seeds.  Put tomatoes, peppers and
peeled onions through the medium knife of the food chopper, sprinkle with
salt and allow to stand for 4 hours, then drain.  Combine vinegar and sugar
in a sauce pan to a boil, add the vegetables and spices, bring again to a
boil and simmer for l0 minutes.  Pack into hot sterilized jars and seal at
once.

This recipe does not need the canning bath as the first does.  Make sure
your jars and lids have been washed in hot soapy water and keep the jars
hot as well as the lids while you are canning, after sealing jars keep them
out of a draft and as they cool you will hear the lids pop and that is the
sign they are sealed.  There should be no give to the lids when they are
cool.  If some do not seal don't be discouraged just put those jars into
the ref.  and eat as soon as you can.  Any questions write again..  Also
green tomatoes will keep if you wrap them in newspaper and box them in a
cool place.  When in need of tomatoes take out and keep a few days in the
kitchen to ripen.

Again good luck it isn't as hard as it sounds.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Lucky you - to have all those green tomatoes!  I have had good
success using the batter mix from Miss Robens - just follow package
directions.  I use this mix for lots of things and find that my family
really likes it too (which is unusual for them).  Good luck with it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

I just tried them the first time about three weeks ago....
First I sliced the tomatoes, dipped them in a whipped egg with a little
water added to the egg and whip.   I  breaded some with cornmeal and some
with white rice flour.  I added a small amt. of pepper and salt to my flour
mixture.  Fried in olive oil.till lightly brown.....very  good and
tastey!

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I remembered that the novel "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe"
by Fannie Flagg included some recipes quoted throughout the story.  It took
me a while to find the book again (our house has lots of books) so here is
the recipe with apologies for the delay.  It looks GF though coming from
Ireland I'm not familiar wih cornmeal, so you'll have to judge for
yourself:

Medium green tomatoes (at least 1 per person)
Salt
Pepper
White cornmeal
Bacon drippings

Slice tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick, season with salt and pepper and then
coat both sides with cornmeal.  In a large skillet, heat enough bacon
drippings to coat the bottom of the pan and fry tomatoes until lightly
browned on both sides.

I haven't tried the recipe but the book itself was a great read and was also
made into a very good film.  I would highly recommend both.  Enjoy.

As for green fried tomatoes I simply slice, salt & pepper, dust with GF
flour and fry until golden brown on both sides.  Serve with eggs,
bacon/sausage, hash brown potatoes for a breakfast or fry your tomatoes
and serve with fried fish for an evening meal.  ( if you like friedfish
for breakfast that's cool also).

Thank you all again, Sarah in Washington, D.C.