From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 08:02:04 GMT

San-J asked me to make the following update on their product.  Please
direct all questions directly to the company.

Michael Jones  [log in to unmask]  Orlando, FL USA

Reply on:  Posting by Joanne D. on Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:48:13

San-J makes both wheat-free and non-wheat-free soy sauces.  Two of our
products are wheat-free and labeled accordingly.  Those are:

Organic, Whole Soybean Wheat-Free Tamari "Gold Label"
Organic, Wheat-Free Reduced Sodium Tamari "Platinum Label"

No wheat is used, nor has wheat ever been used, in the making of these
two products.

Recently, we became aware of a test for gluten. The test uses an ELISA
(enzyme linked immuno-absorbant assay) kit.  This method has been
granted "AOAC First Official Action" status by the AOAC (Association of
Official Analytical Chemists). Using this method, these two products
were tested for  gluten through an independent laboratory and found to
be gluten free.  The detectable limit of this test is 170 parts per
million (0.017%).

We stand by our "wheat-free" labeling of these products as truthful and
accurate.  We use this test as a confirmation of the accuracy of our
labeling.

Best Regards,

Stephen Zoller
Vice President
San-J International, Inc.
2880 Sprouse Drive, Richmond, VA 23231-6072, USA
Tel. 804-226-8333   Fax 804-226-8383
http://www.richmond.infi.net/~sanj    e-mail: [log in to unmask]