From:
Tanya & Stefan Buchwald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 23:18:43 +0100

Dear listmates,

I thank you all for the time, effort and concern for our son.
I got lots of answers which represented mainly the following:

Many thought he should be tested, since most symptoms were mentioned,
but to be careful as to who does the testing and that it should be a
battery of tests run over at least 4 sessions.

Many warned about medications since they have side effects. (I would not have
even considered that an option).

Also many seemed to believe the diet has a lot to do with the
behavior. Both small amounts of gluten and/or other culprits such as
casein, sugar, food coloring, additives may be affecting the short
span of concentration and restlessness. So an elimination diet was
advised. (I find that hard to do with a child who already has a
limited diet).

Also another cause could be a deficiency in a vitamin B complex such
as Niacin.

One lady who has done a lot of research on behaviorism in children
strongly suggested that, regardless of the disorder attributed to the
child, behavioral problems are due to biochemical imbalances in the
body, especially in children with gastrointestinal disorders.

On the other hand, many thought that ADD was just a label many schools
are using for children, that my son is intelligent and probably not
challenged enough and is bored.

Three books were recommended:

- "Is This Your Child" by Dr. Doris Rapp,

- "Brain Allergies" by William Philpott, and

- "Different Kids" by Sue Dengate.

We are still not sure whether we will have our son tested for ADD/ADHD
or not. But I am going to look more into his diet and what nutrients
might be missing.

Thank you again for all your support !

Tanya, Martin's mom