From:
Jane Cole-Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Cole-Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2006 16:07:35 -0400

Thank you so much to those of you who replied so generously.  It made a
huge difference in support.  I am so sorry there are so many out there
who are suffering like me.  Jane

One suggested  a web site: Have you gone to celiac.com? It states the
disease is definitely Associated with CD.

Others suggested wiping from front to back to prevent contamination.
One asked if I was dehydrated: are you dehydrated a lot? This can also
cause UTI's.
Several suggested cranberry juice: I'm sure it's the cranberry juice
that does the job.  We drink Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Light with 2/3
less calories, meaning lot less sugar & corn syrup.
One suggested ways of making it more palatable: I've grown to really
like it combined in Walmart's White Grape Soda, or Orange Crystal Lite.
My husband likes it mixed in ice tea, or lemon lime soda. I used to
drink 8-16 oz a day, but it works just as well at about 4 oz of
cranberry juice per day. Be sure you buy a brand with the highest
percentage of cranberry juice. We buy Ocean Spray. But there are others.
There is even a powder that is straight cranberry.

Also cranberry pills: The pills are more concentrated and no calories or
added sugar.  I get them at the drug store or target and I believe the
instructions say to take four pills per day. I don't know if the sugar
has anything to do with the infections. I've read that sugar can have
something to do with yeast infections though.

One person wrote: I am not celiac but have been plagued with UTIs all my
life.  Another that kidney infections run through her non-celiac family.

Some have been on preventative medication - macrodantin:  I have been on
preventative medicines for about 5 years.  I don't know if there is a
connection but I have been on macrodantin (sp) for ever!!!

The drug macrodantin that I take is more like an antiseptic.  I don't
have any problems with candida and my digestion has been better taking
it.

I used to sometimes go on levaquin...that worked ok.

I learned the hard way that kidney infections and other problems can be
due to ANTIBIOTICS!! Cipro shut down my kidneys.....so if you have
problems do not take it.  I wound up on dialysis for 2 weeks until they
finally came back on line.

Another: Has your urine been cultured or has the doctor prescribed a
broad spectrum antibiotic?  Sounds as though you are not being given a
drug specific to fight the organism you have.  Often can be slowed down
but not eradicated and the bacteria that are left are more resistant.
Third course of antibiotics in 6 weeks sounds like incorrect choice of
medication or not given for enough duration.

One person gluten intolerant and training as a naturopathic medical
student commented on the link with food intolerances: Many of our elder
naturopaths have commented on the link between food intolerances and
infections of the urinary tract in general. In our clinic, we find that
after all food intolerances are identified (usually via a supervised
elimination/challenge diet), and the patient stabilized with
kidney/urinary tract supportive therapies, most patients stop having
infections. It worked for me as well! As naturopaths, we also prescribe
antibiotics in the case of bacterial kidney infections because there is
a possibility for lasting harm if the infection lasts too long.

One doctor commented that it flairs up in the fall because the
temperature goes down, therefore my body temperature goes down thus my
body's ability to fight infection goes down.

How long have you been GF?  Also check for dairy intolerance and other
foods.  Like potatoes, corn, soy, eggs.  If you eat the replacement
grains for things like bread - you should give all those up until you
have no more bladder infections for 6 months & then try them again.  I
think they are all cross contaminated and some of us cannot handle even
that teeny amount.

Most said going GF really helped.  Something is affecting your the
mucosal areas of your body.... sinus, throat, stomach, intestines, and
in women bladder, urinary tract...  If I get any exposure to anything
with the slightest hint of gluten or anything I am allergic to, the
first thing I notice is my urinary tract acts different.

I do not have them anymore since I went GF.  I had bladder kidney
infections for 30 years - lived on antibiotics.  I am fine now.

One person commented how much longer and more dramatic infections are
when celiacs get them.

Another felt: If there is a connection with celiac and bladder
infections, I think it would simply be that some celiacs seem to have a
compromized immune systems in general. This may be due to the fact that
about 50% of celiacs on the GF diet continue to have trouble absorbing
some important nutrients. (This is probably due to the slow healing of
the digestive tract.)

For the immune system in general I have found kefir is very helpful -
the traditional, homemade kind (search "real Kefir" and go to Dom'
insite.)

I have also had very good luck using turmeric for many healing
situations. You can search for turmeric remedies to learn more.

Has anyone checked out your immune system?  A neighbor of mine had this
problem and a persistent doctor uncovered an immune deficiency that
leaves her much more vulnerable to infections.  This might be worth
investigating if these continue without other obvious causes.

 This product REALLY helped me, and very quickly:  D-mannose (Brand: UTI
Edge).  It is possibly faster than antibiotics and it has no side
effects.   I bought it from this company and I was very happy with their
service: http://www.heranswer.com/dmannose.asp?id=115

One quoted Dr. Peter Green: I suffered from chronic kidney disease as a
child (also, in retrospect, undiagnosed and untreated CD) and asked Dr.
Peter Green about that.  He said it's consistent as the proteins get in
the blood and wreak havoc with the kidneys.  You might email Dr. Fasano
or Dr. Green and ask about CD and kidney disease.

Empty your bladder fully: urinate normally and then lean forward which
apparently changes the position of the bladder and then empty some more.
I just had the test and didn't have a drop left by using this method.

Foods:  I recently found out it was directly related to coffee
consumption! (even decaffeinated coffee)   I can drink an Iced Cap maybe
once every two weeks, but if I start drinking several days in a row, I
start to get the burning sensation.  I have no idea why, but maybe the
acidity of the coffee is hard on the kidneys; it can't be the caffeine,
because I react the same way to decaffeinated coffee.  Look into the
acidic foods.  People with interstitial cystitis (repeated bladder
irritation) find that they do better when they avoid: tomatoes and
tomato sauce, chocolate, citrus beverages, alcohol, and spicy foods.

One person suggested a link with neuropathy: I seem to have bladder
infections that are weird in that they can't find any bacteria.  I have
all the symptoms, pain in quadrant, etc. Actually I am wondering if I am
just not experiencing something like the pre symptoms of IgA nephropathy
which is very related to gluten and dairy according to  what I read. The
medical system seems to dispute that however.

One recommended the SCD diet: Yes I HAD those, but changed my diet to
www.austinscdfriends.com.   Have not had one since.