From:
Lisa Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:08:06 -0600

 Here's the "clips" from everyone.  Thanks so much.  --  Lisa

Yes, they sell the usual grocery items which may or may not be GF, but
none of the Publix I have shopped in Daytona, Ocala, Tampa, Orlando, Ft.
Myers, Tallahassee, Miami, etc. have ever had any specifically GF items
such as found in healthfood stores. their own plain cheesecake appears
to be GF--you need to check.  Check out www.geocities.com/naplesceliacs
there is a downloadable GF list from the Delphi forum.  Also listed is
the Publix GF list. if you were coming to Naples - you'd want to shop
for neat g/f products at SunSplash Mkt. just off the Tamiami Trail (41)
on Neopolitan Way - terrific selection.

I just returned from Sanibel and definitely do the Publix before you hit
the island, there is a grocery store on the island called Jerry's but it
didn't carry too many things we celiacs could eat plus it was much more
expensive, the variety at the Publix was better, of course, if you can
pack some of your favorites from home -- do that.  I did  okay eating
out, I ate at a restaurant in Captiva called the KeyLime Bistro, mainly
fish on the menu....loads of fresh vegetables and they made a great
salad with strawberry dressing.  I actually faired well on the trip.
There was a health food store on Periwinkle Drive in Sanibel but she had
absolutely nothing except good corn chips.  If I were you I'd pack your
cereal or pancake mix, some crackers and pretzels and anything that you
feel you need.  Good luck and try the Key

Lime.....they even made good margaritas with no mix.

Publix has a decent section. However, they don't carry gf flours. They
do carry waffles and such in their freezer section. My suggestion is
bring some gf foods if you can or don't want to do to a health food
store. Perhaps someone in the Tampa area can help out. They are closer
and may have more knowledge.

Check out www.geocities.com/naplesceliacs there is a downloadable GF
list from the Delphi forum.  Also listed is the Publix GF list.  I have
found Publix to be quite useless as far as GF items go.  They have a
health food section, but the one nearest me has many mostly gluten free
brands of products (Pamela's Cookies), but no gluten free products
whatsoever. Is St. Pete on your way?  There is a great health food store
on the corner of 66th St and Central Ave, if so.

Publix has a limited supply of GF stuff, rice crackers, corn flakes,
that kind of stuff. A better place to try would be any "Whole Foods
Market" there a bunch in South Florida. It doesn't look like they have
one in Fort Meyers, but if you're anywhere near these locations (see
URL) you can stock up!http://www.wholefoods.com/company/florida.html

Don't know about that Publix but our Albertsons has Gluten Free Pantry
stuff now.  There are GREAT health food stores in FT Myers and Naples so
you should have no problem.

There is a health food store in Ft. Myers where they do carry a few
things. I am taking all my own food because for the last 4 years, I've
had problems finding gf food.  I can't remember if the health food store
in Ft.

Myers has frozen bread or not.  I usually buy my crackers, and cookies
there.  To my knowledge there is no health food store on the island of
Captiva nor in Sanibel Island.

They carry gf pasta (De Boles) and rice crackers (in the ethnic area). I
much prefer Kroger.  Kroger has an 800 line that I can call up to 8:00
EST.  They are extremely helpful.  Publix has some GF foods but not a
large selection.  However, their are a number of good health food stores
in the Ft. Meyers area and one in Sanibel on the main road to Captiva.
Sorry I can not remember the names. The one in FT Meyers is in the Kmart
shopping sent right behind the Publix shopping center.  It is on San
Carlos Bld. just north of where it crosses Summerlan.

By the way Publix carries many Boars Head product and almost all of them
are GF. They make great Hot dogs.

You will have no trouble finding GF Foods and I have found the
restaurants to be very accommodating.Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN
Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com