From:
Yitznrivka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 20:31:28 EST

I am a recently diagnosed (through biopsy) 55 year old celiac. My daughter is
a neurologist, who specializes in epilepsy. She sent me this post and asked me
to forward it to th list:
"Hi, I just returned from the American Epilepsy Society meeting in Boston and
I heard something of interest. They reported that Celiac disease is associated
very rarely with calcifications in the posterior portion of the brain,
apparently this occurs in children more than with adults. On CT scan and MRI
the appearance is very similar to that of Sturge Weber syndrome, which is an
entirely different disease. They suggested that any child who has seizures and
calcification of htis type in the brain should be evaluated for celiac
disease, as well as Sturge Weber.
Rivka Haut