Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:44:27 -0800

It appears that no one on the list has experienced triga.  Thanks to you
who replied.  Following are the replies I received plus a bit more info.

Grain can be ground into flour to make baked product or cooked whole
like rice. The grain has a sweet mild nutty flavor. Grain has higher
levels of protein (20.8%), fat (3.21%) and ash (2.64%) than wheat. The
protein is nutritionally limiting in lysine as is wheat, but Wild Triga
has higher levels than wheat of all other essential amino acids. In
samples of intermediate wheatgrass grain (Wild Triga) tested by USDA, no
functional gluten was found. However no tests have been conducted to
determine if individuals with wheat or gluten allergies can tolerate
Wild Triga grain. Intermediate wheatgrass is closely related to wheat
and may cause similar problems.

>I don't know anything about triga myself, but I did find a web page
>that has some information: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/Crops/
>CropFactSheets/triga.html In particular, the following passage from the
>"Uses" section is of interest: In samples of intermediate wheatgrass
>grain (Wild Triga) tested by USDA, no functional gluten was found.
>However no tests have been conducted to determine if individuals with
>wheat or gluten allergies can tolerate Wild Triga grain. Intermediate
>wheatgrass is closely related to wheat and may cause similar problems.
>Since it does appear to be closely-related to wheat, and since no tests
>for gluten sensitivity have been conducted, I would not recommend this
>grain for celiacs. (But I'm just a layperson; I'm not a grain or
>medical expert.)

>If it's related to wheat, it's a no-go. Just like kamut and spelt.
>Biologically it will have something very close to gluten that acts like
>gluten (think: rye and barlety, which are even more distantly related).
>You don't want it!

Feb. 18-24
Visit my web site at:
www.NestEntertainment.com/KLSmith
and teach your child personal safety with Yello Dyno-
our child safety hero
(30% off of the Yello Dyno cassette power pack!)

And don't forget to enter the drawing for an animated
cel!