From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 08:17:06 -0500

I know people all over the country are worried about celiacs displaced by
hurricane Katrina.

We have not heard from any celiac persons displaced by the hurricane, other
than Annette Bentley, who is staying with her sister on the north side of
Houston. We are staying in touch.

I have been in touch with, and left specific information with,  the Houston
Food Bank, Red Cross, United Way, Whole Foods Markets, our church, medical
contacts at the Dome and Convention Center and our members offering specific
help of gluten-free food to specific celiacs displaced.  I have had no

The persons left floundering in New Orleans, and now in Texas shelters were
those with not much money to get transport out of the city on their own.  I
imagine these persons, now needing food stamps and more, are those without
much medical support.  I also imagine not many of these have been officially
diagnosed with CD.  We will continue to pursue with assistance any persons
who cannot eat wheat.  There are many people in area hotels temporarily, and
various churches are supplying food.  Perhaps we will hear of some families
through these contacts.

The Houston Food Bank says it will separate any boxes marked "GLUTEN FREE"
sent here to Houston, but we need to identify those celiac families first.

Gluten-Free products were sent in the 9/11 tragedy, and so much went to
waste because the celiacs were not identified and others did not want to eat
"diet" food.  We really want to help those celiacs and persons with wheat
allergy.

CSA/USA is coordinating efforts with us and the GF vendors. Keep in touch.
Do call CSA at 877-CSA-4CSA with any reports of celiacs in need in
Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana devastated by this hurricane.

Do donate monies to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, or the Bush/Clinton Fund
if you want to help all these people in terrible need.

Janet Rinehart, Chairman
Houston Celiac Support Group
www.houstonceliacs.org
281-679-7608