From:
Lori Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2003 08:10:08 -0600

My daughter has been diagnosed for one year with CD.  Recently, it occurred to us that she still suffered from dystention and flatulence so we took out the lactose (mostly) and her symptoms have disappeared.  Anyway, cheese is the big problem.  As you all know lactose free cheese sucks!  So, we have been giving her little bits of cheese on broccoli or tacos.

Just brought Kraft block cheddar and noticed that the packaging says "each serving contains 0 g. of lactose per serving".  This was fascinating to me!  My hubby called the company and they said that if it contained a 1/2 g or less per serving they can claim it contains none according to FDA regulations.  They said most of the lactose burns off in processing.

Two questions then:

Do any of you know about this?  have any useful information?  Doesn't this mean that I can continue to give her cheese?

What then is the difference between lactose free and casein free?