Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 23:35:36 -0500

Jeanne Barkemeijer de Wit wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed a change in the way their bodies process
> medications AFTER they've been GF for any length of time?  (e.g. - that
> they seem to need less of things)  Could it be that I now need less
> Prozac because I've been following a GF diet?  Does anyone else out
> there also suffer from hyper sensitivity to medications and food
> additives, etc?  I was wondering if my extreme sensitivity chemicals,
> medications and food additives could somehow be related to celiac.

DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT A DOCTOR, THIS IS NOT AN ADVICE, DO ANYTHING
AT YOUR OWN RISK.

People with chronic fatigue/fybromyalgia tend to need smaller doses
of meds than normal. They also tend to be overweight. They also tend
to have lower reserves of some adrenal hormones (cortisol being one),
but possibly also adrenalin (a.k.a. epinephrine). They tend to be
depressed. Oh, and here is the final connection - the only reliable
way I have seen any of them get better is by following one or another
version of carb restricting diets that specifically restricts grains.
Thus, even the Zone diet (which is 40% carbs) still appears
to help quite a bit, but if memory serves right, Sears (diets author)
strongly recommends that people cut out all the grains.

You are already on a GF diet, so you might want to try something like
a Paleolithic diet.  That's basically eating only those foods that
our ancestors ate for long peoriods of time and have adapted to eating.
This removes all the foods that became edible with recent technology,
or entered the food supply with the argicultural revolution.
This way you will eliminate not only gluten, but many other things
you might be sensitive to. If you do try it, be careful whom you listen
to for advice, as there are lots of well meaning people out there
who try to fit history to their view of what nutrition should be
(e.g. instisting that earlier humans were vegetarians or fruitarians,
which in many cases is an ethical viewpoint, not a nutrional one).
I subscribe to a PALEOFOOD list right here on this server, which is
a support list for people (roughly) following a way of eating described
in NEANDERTHIN book by Ray Audette. This is also a diet that tends to
be low carb, while not specifically requiring one to restrict the
carbs. Many of the people who are eating that way now, though, came
from the low carb camp and tend to limit their carbs themselves.

Ilya