From:
Melinda Freckleton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melinda Freckleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2014 21:22:41 -0400

Hello,

Wow!  That was a huge response!  Thank you everyone who took the time to answer!!

For anyone who missed it, I asked about GF walnuts, as the Diamond brand sold at Wegmans and other stores recently added a wheat warning, and Costco's nuts seem to now too.

The two most frequently suggested sources were Trader Joe's and nuts.com.  Many people suggested each of these retailers.

Other suggestions included:
-Aldi stores
-Bulk bins from any store (one person noted that gravity feed is better for avoiding cross contamination.)
-local farmers market
-local store generics
-buy them in the shell and shell them myself
-whole foods
-Walmart
-Sprouts
-Kroger
-Fisher brand

One person said their Diamond nuts from Wegmans did not have a wheat warning, and a few weeks ago I would have said the same thing.  Sadly, that seems to be changing.

Another person pointed out that the wheat warning on the Diamond nuts is probably just to cover their butts--likely true, but then anytime I eat them and have a bad belly day I will be wondering if I should have avoided them.  I respect that each of us have different physical and mental sensitivity.

Finally, two people suggested buying kosher nuts.  I have only the most rudimentary understanding of kosher cooking, so here is an excerpt of the explanation offered:
There is no wheat in any Kosher for Passover product UNLESS the label says matzah, matzah meal, matzah farfel or cake meal. Spellings may differ.  This applies to ingredients and processing.  The machinery is either totally cleaned, never had wheat, or is in a dedicated facility.  The Passover labeling laws are enforced strongly. (Thank you Linda!)

I also got a couple messages from others struggling to find good options, and several who discovered this possible hidden wheat in their own cupboards after seeing my post.  That makes me extra glad I asked!

So, thanks again to all who answered!  Clearly a popular subject!  Now, I hope to get some nuts and start baking again!

Melinda Freckleton, DVM
Catlett, VA

Sent from my iPad