Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 08:27:24 -0400

<< I realize that any generalizations are sometimes dangerous, but why don't
 we just accept the fact that there are no fast food chains that can provide
 gluten free meals with any guarantee of no contamination, etc, etc.
 French fries are frequently coated with wheat even if they are not cooked in
 forbidden oils or shared with onion rings, etc.
 Almost all hamburger meat is diluted with fillers which may be oats or
 heaven knows what else.
 I haven't eaten or drunk a "milk shake" in a fast food restaurant since I
 realized that they are made of chemicals which have no connection to milk
 products.>>

I find posts like this particularly UNHELPFUL.  It is difficult enough for
those with CD (particularly teenagers) to "fit in".  This post is a gross
generalization that is full of half truths -- as many on the list know many
fast food hamburgers are NOT "diluted with fillers which may be oats or
heaven knows what else" -- to say "almost all" is quite misleading.  All
french fries are NOT coated with wheat nor cooked in "forbidden oils".

Lastly, milk shakes are typically GF.  Just because some choose to shun some
milk shakes because they have may never have been within a mile of a cow --
others with CD should not necessarily hold these same fears -- milk shakes
are inherently GF.

Having vented the above, people should always check ingredients.  As we have
seen from the many posts on this subject, all fast food is not bad, nor is
all fast food GF.  Let's not make GF life more difficult than it already is!