From:
rice cakes etc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:26:16 -0400

Dear Listmates,

To carry on the "conversation" that TC started and Tami & Mara continued,
I'd like to point out that what Tami said:
   "We are strictly a niche market...we have to give them a *business* reason
   to cooperate with us"
is quite true, as well as Mara's comment that basically echoes the old
saying that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Mara said:
"If I call a manufacturer and say "I'd like to know if there's any gluten
or wheat in your product," they immediately become defensive. On the other
hand, if I start by saying ""I have dietary restrictions and I'd like to
know if it's safe for me to eat your product,"" they are usually eager to
help."

So perhaps if we all remember that when our "little" niche market being
celiacs is added to the niche markets of all the other reasons people
choose food according to ingredients labels for themselves and their
families, and pass this information along to the companies, they will then
see that they do, indeed, have a "business" reason to cooperate.

And if we also remember to mention Mara's confidence that she shares that
she needs to know that food is safe according to her dietary restrictions,
I agree that we will gain assistance and awareness rather than defensiveness.

It's too bad about Kelloggs' Kenmei cereal, but keeping in mind that not
all of us on this list belong to an organized local celiac group and visa
versa that not all "land" members of celiac groups are on this e-mail list,
Kellogg's or any manufacturer has a heck of a job to market a product whose
main attraction is to us.

Now if only we had a national or international proactive campaign in full
swing right now --- composed of all the niche market groups of consumers
---- to assist manufacturers and governments in making a decision to
provide full disclosure product labelling, without exception. We've got the
energy, we just need the direction.

I'll pass the soapbox to someone else now.

Helen in Vancouver, BC