From:
Caroline Blain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caroline Blain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:18:55 -0500

        Thank you for the great help I have already received from this group in
reading the posts and an advance thank you for all your  kind responses to
this post.  We are new to sprue life since September.  I have not posted any
questions re: our quest for health.  I feel like I am drowning in questions.
Please be patient with my post and questions.  I will begin with a short
history followed by questions and the our test results.
        My daughter from the time we added solids, has never had normal bowel
movements.  We began some formula and slow intro to solids at eight months.
She has not had a stress trigger.  At two she was 19 lbs.  After discussing
this with her doctors who pronounced "toddler diarrhea" and "she'll out grow
it," I placed her on an elimination diet from Dr. Sear's Baby Book.  Removed
wheat first since she loved milk products.  She showed improvement within a
few days.
        At the same time, a friend was diagnosed celiac due to several fainting
spells.  After a conversation with her about her symptoms, I thought wow
that is my daughter.  With a bit more thought, symptoms short of the
fainting sound like my life since I can remember.  Short story.  Had myself,
daughter and son tested.  My third child was not on formula nor solids at
this point.  Since my pediatric clinic was dismissive of celiac as "very
rare," emphasized the discomfort for my daughter with the blood testing, and
my insurance did not cover the iga testing, we tested with enterolab. See
results below. My mother was tested and she has HLA-DQ2.
        We all (except my husband who eats gluten out of house) have gone on a
gf/cf diet.  Many of my symptoms cleared and energy came back.  Daughter is
growing and better but still having frequent trouble--enough to keep her
from being able to potty train (willing but not able).  Son's behavior has
improved but still has GI troubles.  The baby's reflux stopped and he began
sleeping better once my breast milk was gf/cf but is constipated frequently.
Talked with pedestrian re: tests and progress.  She would like the blood
work.  Recommended back on the gluten for 6 weeks.
        Where do we go from here?  I am beyond the point of handling ellimation
diets.  With three wee ones, it is not working. GI doctor? Allergist?  What
kind of testing would be helpful?
        On the gene side of things, did my daughters genes come from my husband or
were those not listed possibly on my results?    Does he need to be tested?
What do these genes mean?  How can my daughter's test results be so benign
and her symptoms be so extreme?  Does this have to do with her young age?
Where I can see lots of the standard triggers in my life, there are none in
my children's lives???

Daughter's results Age 2
Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test 13  Units     (Normal <10 Units*)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA    8  Units     (Normal <10 Units)
Microscopic Fecal Fat Score:   121  Units     (Normal < 300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein IgA antibody     7  Units     (Negative <10 Units)
Gene Test for Gluten Sensitivity  Molecular analysis:  HLA-DQB1*0602, 0301;
Serologic equivalent:  HLA-DQ 1,3 (subtype 6,7)

My results Age > 4 :o)
Fecal Antigliadin IgA   20 Units     (Normal <10 Units
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA   10 Units     (Normal <10 Units)
Microscopic Fecal Fat Score:   569  Units     (Normal < 300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein IgA antibody     12  Units     (Negative <10 Units)
Gene Test for Gluten Sensitivity Molecular analysis:  HLA-DQB1*0201, 0602;
Serologic equivalent:  HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)

My Son's results Age 4
Fecal Antigliadin IgA   268 Units     (Normal <10 Units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA   46 Units     (Normal <10 Units)
Microscopic Fecal Fat Score:   624  Units     (Normal < 300 Units
Fecal anti-casein IgA antibody     33  Units     (Negative <10 Units)