From:
"Wendy E. Betts" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 14:21:29 PST

In regard to celiacs having reactions to non-gluten foods, I
am really curious about what *kind* of reaction people are
talking about. Are we just talking digestive trouble here? In
my case, I have digestive problems that may or may not be
related to sprue. But I also have a specific set of symptoms,
far more than just digestive, that have *always* indicated that
I've eaten gluten. Every time I get these symptoms, we've been
able to trace a gluten culprit. (Admittedly, I don't know if
there are times when I had gluten and didn't have symptoms, but
we are very careful so I think our mistakes are rare.)

The two or three times I've accidentally had real vanilla or other
extracts, it caused the same symptoms as other gluten exposures,
although in a milder form. (And to reiterate, I did *not* know I
was eating it until after the symptoms onset.)

I would like to know more about what items cause reactions in celiacs
and what *kind* of reaction they cause. I agree that just because one
person is affected by a product that doesn't mean all celiacs will be.
But if the reaction is indistinguishable from a sprue reaction, there
seems to be a reason to investigate, if nothing else.

Webdt Betts, [log in to unmask]