From:
Emerisle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 18:59:04 -0700

Thank you so much to the 54 (!!!) of you who responded to me.  Every response was greatly appreciated!

  Unanimously, people felt that the MD that I saw is not correct and that you certainly can have CD with negative tests.  Several people who wrote had positive biopsies with negative blood work.

  Many people recommended just going gluten free and see how I feel.

  Many recommended Enterolab/ Dr. Fine's work., and Prometheus Lab for testing, One person also recommended Kimball Genetics.

  Many recommended trying to get a skin biopsy to confirm/deny DH.

  Many told me that it took them NUMEROUS years to get a correct diagnosis (one was 22 years!)

  Several told me to get a new doctor, preferrably one younger or one at a celiac disease center.

  Several asked if I had low IgA as this will produce negative blood tests (IgA was normal about 6 months ago).  A couple asked if I was already on a GF diet when tested as this may make it negative (I was not).  A couple people asked the specific tests that were run, I am getting those records to see...

  Some recommended sites: Enterolab. The Gluten FIle. The "Ask a Doctor" section of celiacsonline.com. Braintalk2 - thread with links to abstracts about finding autoantibodies in the gut that are consistent with CD before blood tests are positive. Glutensensitivity.net. University of Chicago Hospitals Celiac Disease Program. Columbia Presbyterian 's site for celiac disease.

  Several people wrote of considering additional food allergies.  One mentioned LEAP testing - Signet Labs in FL - for testing in this regard.

  One person told me that there are several MD's at Stanford willing to provide a second opinion on the biopsy specimen.

  One person referred me to the archives to search under blood test, with the helpful hint of adding a date in the "Since" box... This avoids the problem that I had been having of tons of results from 1995.

  Every response was kind and empathetic ( I needed that as much as anything!)

  Thank you all so very much - Beth