From:
Sally Lopez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sally Lopez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:19:15 -0400

I'd like to throw in my two cents on this one.  I think that Tom
Sullivan's email was well thought out.  It raised some interesting
questions that would have to be resolved before there could be "one
voice".

Then, if there were "one voice" and new issues arose in contention or
old issues resurfaced, there would be more lost than gained as it would
only seek to polarize people and groups--perhaps even further apart than

they are now.

Why not a coalition of the various groups so that there is  "one
voice"on issues that where there is already consensus or where sheer
numbers would raise attention to our cause.  For example, regarding the
need for research, are we not of "one voice"?  Regarding the need for
better food labeling, are we not of "one voice"?  Regarding exchange of
information about such things as gf foods, insurance issues, are we not
of "one voice"?  There is agreements regarding the need--just not the
details.  If each group would be willing to appoint someone to represent

their group within the coalition, wouldn't it be a beginning?  Couldn't
each organization fund one person to join?

If there is such a coalition, I guess I'm in the dark about it.  Then
perhaps the existing coalition could step in here and explain their
purpose and what issues there are/are not consensus.

If there is no such coalition, isn't it a beginning?   As long as all
the groups are in conflict with each other,  the message just ain't
gonna get out there.  This is bad for the organizations, and worse for
the individuals with celiac.

What needs to happen is to move forward as "one voice" on the issues
where there is consensus at this time.  What needs to happen next is to
prioritize other issues on which dialog within the organizations has not

yet reached consensus and then get on with agreeing to disagree on the
fine points, but moving forward on that which is agreed.

If we don't get moving on this, other research on other diseases will be

funded, but not celiac.  If we don't explain the type of food labeling
that we need, it won't happen.  If we don't start dialog on other issues

such as those mentioned in Tom's letter, we'll never get our disease the

attention needed to find a cure or help us to manage our diets better
until there is a cure!

Thank you.

Sally