Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 17:03:32 -0600

Actonel is not the same chemical compound as Fosamax, but it is in the
same family.  Both are tablets that contain lactose.  So, if you are
lactose intolerant, there could be problems.  50% of us Celiacs are
lactose intolerant.

Didronel (etidronate) is an older compound that doesn't have
lactose, at least what I see listed in the PDR (the Physicians'
Desk Reference for 2000, which I bought at Sam's Club).

I was told it doesn't work quite as well, though.

The PDR lists ingredients, both active and inactive, for everything
except brand new prescription medicines that didn't make it into
the 2000 edition.  Expensive book, though...even at Sam's Club.

Vicki E. Jones
Homewood, IL