From:
Laura Niel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Niel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:38:50 -0500

Hello Listmates,

I was diagnosed fairly recently and haven't had many business meals since
then.  I work in a small office and my co-workers are aware of my
situation and don't mind making sure if we go out as a group that we
choose a restaurant that can meet my needs.  However, I'm going on a
business trip in a few weeks to meet with people I don't see very often.
I'm concerned that disclosing that I have celiac disease could lead some
to think I'm unhealthy.  It frustrates me that we get all these guarantees
of privacy at our doctors' offices, but we have no choice but to tell
whoever we're eating with about this health issue.

I did get some great tips from a fellow celiac - just say you have severe
wheat allergies as allergies aren't perceived as unhealthy
or find waiter
and explain situation to them privately and figure out a safe selection
and tip them at that time, then no fuss when ordering.  Also, I do have a
dining card from Living Without that I plan on using.

I just wondered if anyone else has other suggestions or tips.  My
preference is to keep the business dinner focused on business and not on
my health issues.  Any advice you have is appreciated!

Regards,
Laura