From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:18:54 -0800

I received this response from Macallan's about their wonderful scotch today:

Dear Ms Ellison

Thank you for your enquiry through our Macallan
website.
first advice is to contact
doctor/pharmacist/dietician as we are not medical
experts
we can say however that our distilled products do
not contain any gluten
from the original cereal base and would confirm
we do not add in any
undistilled material

Yours sincerely

Jason Craig
The Macallan

The following person has submitted one of the
contact forms

name:           Ms Kit Kellison
email:  [log in to unmask]
country:        united states
how hear:       word_of_mouth

comments:       Dear Macallan:
I am a fan of your product, but have been afraid
to consume it lately
because of a recent celiac disease diagnosis.  I
have to strictly avoid even
the minutest hint of gluten from wheat, rye, and
barley.  Chemists have
stated that distilling removes gluten from
alcohol, and that means many
products are o.k. for me to try, but it is my
understanding that some whisky
manufacturers add in undistilled product to the
mix for flavoring purposes.
Would your product be considered gluten-free?  Is
there any opportunity
during manufacturing or bottling for cross
contamination?  I will post your
answer on two national online celiac forums.
Thanks in advance for your trouble.

time:           12:33:12 24 February 2003