From:
Kevin & Pat Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 07:33:58 -0500

Hi,

      This was my question followed by 2 responses.

      "Does anyone know of a gluten free citric acid.  Are all US citric acids
GF?  I bought citric acid made by Ball (Altrista Corporation, Muncie,
IN)...is this GF?"

1."Domestic citric acid capacity remains stable.  There are three domestic
producers of citric acid--Archer Daniels Midland, Cargill, and Haarmann &
Reimer--with total capability of 460 million lb/yr of citric acid.  All
three produce citric acid through the fermentation of corn-based dextrose.
The acid can also be derived from other sources of dextrose, including
cane sugar and wheat.  I'm not sure manufacturers are aware of this
connection, so I believe we must also ask if their product contains citric
acid, and if so, was it made from wheat"

2."This is from celiac.com:  "Citric Acid:  All the citric acid produced
in the US is made from corn.  Outside the USA the acid can also be derived
from other sources of dextrose, including cane sugar and wheat.  Some of
the citric acid used in the US is imported from other countries, such as
China.  Imported citric acid may be made from corn, sugar or wheat..."

Thanks for taking the time and responding to my question.

Pat