From:
Bruce Culver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 10:01:10 -0500

Hi, guys!  Must say first thank you to all of you for waiting.  I've
been trying out some recipes and won't list the ones I had problems
with, just the successes so far.  I still have many more recipes to go
through and try, but for me the following two recipes (one submitted by
Kathyn2 and one of Bette Hagman's) were great!  I also want to thank
those who steered me to the Ener-G Foods Tapioca Bread--it has saved me
when I don't have the time to bake another loaf, although it sure is
dry, it is great for sandwiches and I used it in making my family's
recipe for Stuffing and it was great!!!!  No toasting any bread and
stuff.  But I'll post that recipe later!

White Bread (Bread Machine Recipe!)

Put all of these items in the bread machine first:
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 eggs (mix them up first)
1 tsp. GF vinegar (rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar worked well)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (kathy used 1/8 cup corn oil & 1/8 c. butter; I
used 1/4 c. canola oil)

Then on top of that put:
2 c. rice flour
1/2 c. potato starch
1/3 c. tapioca flour
1 Tbs. xanthan gum
1/4 c. cornstarch
2/3 c. dried milk powder
1 packet Red Star Yeast (I used 2 1/4 tsp.)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. sugar

This batter is very thin, not at all like bread dough.  As the bread
maker was stirring it and kneading it, I made sure it was well mixed and
looked in on that part.  (I have a Black and Decker Machine and had to
really help a lot on the mixing--so far on every recipe I've tried, I've
had to stir it along.)  After its mixed and kneaded, I only let it rise
once and then baked it as for a 2 lb. loaf.  (My B&D machine does not
give me the option of skipping cycles--I don't know what type of machine
Kathy uses.)  The sides came out nice and brown and crisp but the top
was quite light.

For me, it turned out very well and I enjoyed it a lot.  I bought a
slicer rack to help me slice the bread really thin for sandwiches and
also found, like many others told me with their breads, that if you warm
it first in the microwave it will hold together better for the sandwich.
It's not spongy like regular non-gf bread, but it tastes great!

The other recipe that I had success with was Bette Hagman's Lemon
Buttermilk Recipe, kindly sent to me by Barbara Huston since at the time
I didn't yet have Bette's 3rd cookbook (and many others suggested it to
me).  They are right, it's good, too.  Much the same texture as the
above recipe but with a lemon scent and taste to it.  I've tried it with
and without the lemon zest, and believe me, the recipe needs the lemon
zest, but next time I think I'll try to cut down a little on the amount
of lemon zest and see how it is (I don't really love the lemon part when
I'm eating sandwiches).  So, here again, is the recipe for those who
don't have Bette's latest cookbook:

Lemon-Buttermilk Bread

         [This recipe has been removed from the logfiles, as]
         [it is copyrighted material---the CELIAC Listowners]

Remember I had to help mix my flour mixture and liquid mixture as it
mixed in the machine and I added about 1/8 cup of water when I made this
each time as the batter seemed too thick.

These two worked well for me so far.  I have more to go and will report
back.  I will try and e-mail the people on the recipes that failed for
me to try and figure out what I could do next time to make it better!
So, thanks to everyone for waiting--my son does not have Crohn's
disease, but the doctor believes the ulcerative colitis is probably the
right diagnosis.  We are monitoring him and his diet and adding special
fiber cookies and liquid nutritional supplements to his diet to maintain
his weight.  We'll see what's next.

Working together,
Renee' in So. Florida