From:
Jamie Eppenauer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jamie Eppenauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:08:46 -0800

The Gluten Free Kid <http://www.glutenfreekid.net/>  and I are just
returning from our second trip to NYC.  The food alone is almost enough
reason to visit New York.

We feasted on gluten free pizza, bread sticks, ravioli, tiramisu, brownies,
cupcakes, cookies, French fries, egg sandwiches, BLTs (on toasted gluten
free bread of course)  . . ..

Our favorites:

·          <http://www.risotteria.com/> Risotteria, 270 Bleecker Street
(212) 924 6664

Everything you’d expect a neighborhood restaurant  to be: small but cozy and
warm against the cold NY wind chill outside, wonderful smells of cooking
gluten free pizza, loud on a busy day but you are sure to leave with a new
friend (most likely one that is GF as well). Oh, and the food.  The bread
sticks alone are reason enough to visit, but add the gluten free pizza,
Panini, risotto and desserts which include tiramisu and cheese cake . . .

After you eat, take a walk around Greenwich Village to let your food settle
and then go to Soho for more strolling or, if you have room for more food,
to Babycakes for Gluten Free Cupcakes.

·          <http://www.babycakesnyc.com/> Babycakes NYC, 248 Broome Street
(212) 677 5047

The setting of Babycakes is like a bakery in the 50s with pink clad servers
and “vintage” décor.  Crowded every time we have visited.

The best ever gluten and dairy free cupcakes, cookies, brownies.  Eat some
at the window and buy some extras to take back with you.

·          <http://sambucanyc.com/> Sambuca  20 West 72nd Street (212) 787
5656 upper West Side

We love Sambuca’s.  It is a quaint family style Italian restaurant.  Again,
we love them for their gluten free menu which not only includes great pasta
dishes but ricotta stuffed ravioli, hot gluten free bread on the table and a
GF brownie for dessert.

·         A trip to New York is not complete without a visit to
<http://www.bloomsnewyorkdeli.com/> Bloom's Delicatessen Cafe 350 Lexington
Avenue (212) 922 3663 and Peter's Restaurant New York 1606 1st Avenue (212)
734 9600.  These are great places to grab lunch – we go for the French fries
and sandwiches on toasted gluten free bread.  Peter’s is a short walk from
the Met and Bloom’s is not too far from the shopping area on Fifth Avenue.

·         We also tried a new restaurant this trip – Lilli and Loo
<http://www.lilliandloo.com/> .  I liked it but my daughter was not too
crazy about it.  Pretty authentic Chinese food which was a little too real
for her Americanized Chinese palate.  We had chicken lettuce wraps, street
noodles and Manchurian beef.

For photos of the above and a more complete list of gluten free restaurants
in New York go to http://www.glutenfreemom.com/NewYorkCityGlutenFree.html  .