From:
Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:16:25 -0600

Listmates,

United Airlines will no longer offer gluten free meals as of March 1st, nor
will they compensate their customers for the missed meals, but offer the
alternative of buying a first class seat.  On international flights, they
said you could bring your own food but would have to throw it away before
you went through customs, and it would have to be food that did not have to
be heated.   I wonder what sort of difficulties this might create in
getting through security.  Any bags used to carry this food would count
against your baggage quota.

I think if we flooded them with email and calls, they would probably
rethink their policy, but this will only happen if they get flooded with
calls/contacts.  In six years, this is the first time I've ever had a
problem with an airline not offering g/f food.

Their phone number is 877-228-1327 for customer relations and you can send
them an email from their website at www.ual.com or www.united.com.   They
will not give out an email address for customer relations, but insist you
go through their website.

or FAX at 877-406-1059.

I imagine if they succeed with this policy, then the other airlines will
follow suit, so if this is an issue that concerns you, please call/ewrite
them.  Has anyone else had this problem with another airline?

If we have any lawyers on the list, do you think we could get anywhere
talking about the disability laws?

Thanks!

Susan