From:
Teresa and Robert Wendt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:47:27 EDT

Sorry to be so long in getting these out to you all.  Taxes had to come first
:) Thank you so much to everyone who responded. The website for chebe bread
mix is www.chebe.com.

Teresa Wendt
*We make chebe bread into tortilla type shapes by flattening in a pasta maker.

*Make the chebe rolls from scratch with a l lb bag of tapioca starch from an
oriental grocery story. I can't have cheese so I had cinnamon and vanilla
flavoring. Yummy, roll them up and put them on a cookie sheet. I also don't
add all the oil. I put 1/2 oil and 1/2 apple sauce so it won't be so fatty,
leave it in the oven loner until it browns and you have cinnamon rolls. You
can add any flavoring you like and experiment, add walnuts, almonds, other
flavoring. Do you have the recipe that is used from scratch. I think it is
also on the chebe Brazil website.

*I make it all the time. With a family of 7 celiac children, I could not
afford to purchase this as often as I wanted so I made my own recipe for
it.  My kid's call it MaCheBe! (mama's cheese bread) Kid tested, Mother
Approved, and Gluten Free!

2 cups of Tapioca Flour (?same as starch?)
1 egg
1 TBS of oil
1/3 cup of water
1/4 cup of powdered milk
1 cup of Parmesan cheese

Mix dry ingredients with a whisk until well blended and lump free. Mix wet
ingredients then combine with the dry. It should have the consistency of
play dough. My oven temps vary so I usually set it on high and bake it until
it's brown. =) **Just cook it like it says on the back of the Chebe pack.**

We make pizza crust all the time with this recipe. Bread sticks and rolls
are also a winner!

*I used the bun recipe from Jane Conrad that was posted to this list June
23, 1999 as I use it for all of my bread.

From the archives
Make one bread recipe.

Spray a piece of waxed paper about 20" long with vegetable oil spray
Scoop the dough onto the waxed paper in a lump Carefully (with wet or
oiled hands)spread the dough into a rectangle aprox. 10" x 14" Drizzle 3
Tablespoons melted butter over all and sprinkle generously with cinnamon
and sugar (about 1/2 cup or more) Lift the long side of the paper and
the dough will start to roll over.  Continue to roll it up and  then
slice into 6 pieces.

Put cinnamon rolls into muffin tin (I use a muffin top pan) and bake at
400 degrees for about 15-18 minutes.

While they are still hot, drizzle with frosting made from powdered sugar
and milk with a little vanilla.

Now, for my variations on the recipe.

I tried it once using the wax paper method and it was just too messy and too
much work.  So I modified it and made it easier.

I have a muffin top pan, but I think you could use a regular muffin pan too.=

Spray with Pam, spoon about half of the dough mixture into the pan.  It makes
about 6 large cinnamon buns or probably 8-10 smaller ones -- you will have to
experiment.

Then drizzle the melted butter or oleo over each roll and sprinkle generously
with cinnamon and sugar mixture.  (I also cut down on the amount of sugar as
we don't need that much sweet.)  Then spoon the rest of the dough on top and
smooth out with a spoon dipped in melted butter or sprayed with Pam.
 Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes.  Cool slightly and frost with
powdered sugar, vanilla and milk mixture.

 These are WONDERFUL!  You can also keep left overs for a day or two and just
pop in the microwave to make them taste like they just came out of the oven.
 PS  The dough recipe is for hamburger buns, but it does not work well for
them.  They just fall apart like lots of other GF bread recipes.

*The Chebe mix makes a pretty good substitute for cinnamon rolls.
Follow the directions for the bread using sugar instead of cheese, also may
need a little less water.

Divide the dough into two balls. Roll each ball between 2 sheets of plastic
wrap into a rectangle, may need a little GF Flour.

Spread rolled dough with a little soft butter, then sprinkle on cinnamon
sugar and raisins. Roll up length wise into a log,  cut into slices and bake
as directed on buttered cookie sheet.

Cool slightly and then drizzle with icing. ( Confectionery sugar and milk)
They freeze well.

*Sandwich Buns/Pizza Shells/Cinnamon Rolls (not chebe) This recipe comes
from the Denver Metro Chapter of CSA/USA's High Altitude Gluten-Free Cookbook.

GF All Purpose Flour mixture:

4 cup brown rice flour
1 1/2 cup Sweet rice flour (at Asian markets)
1 cup Tapioca starch flour (this is what Chebe mix is actually made from)
1 cup Rice polish (Ener-g food at health food stores)
1 tablespoon of Guar gum (health food stores)

Whisk all ingredients together. Make large batches and store in Ziplock bags
in freezer.

*check the www.chebe.com site....I say a calzone recipe posted a while ago.

I checked out the link & it looked really good.

*I measured the amount of flour (tapioca) that is in a package.  Try
this recipe and see if you think it is pretty close to what you buy! use
1 1/2 cups of tapioca starch 2 T. instant dry milk and follow the recipe
on the package

*I saw your post about Chebe bread and sweet rolls.  I use this
versatile mix to make cinnamon rolls.  I just mix it up like the package
says - minus the cheese  - and add about 1/3 cup sugar (I just dumped a
bit in and am guessing here on the amount).  Then I roll it out like for
regular cinnamon rolls (into a rectangle about 1/4 - 1/2" thick),
sprinkle with a cinnamon/sugar mix and dot with butter.  I then roll it
up lengthwise, slice with a sharp knife and put them into muffin tins.
I bake them a bit longer

- they tend to be a bit gooey, but then so do 'regular' cinnamon rolls.
After they're cooled, I glaze with a powdered sugar/milk glaze and
voila!  I also use this for pizza crust - which my son also loves.
Sometimes I add some (gluten-free) pizza seasonings to the dry mix, omit
the cheese and then pat it out really thin onto the pizza pan.  The
package has the recipe for pre-baking, etc.  Sometimes I keep the
original, cheese-included recipe and pat this out for pizza crust.  I
have tried many different kinds of pizza crusts - as far as I'm
concerned, this beats them all!

* Abigail's celiac chat room.  Go to geocities.com and look for Celiac
topics.  Once you get in to the support group you can search for
chebe.If my memory serves me well you make the chebe bread as directed
substituting a 1/2 cup of sugar for the cheese.  In addition, you add 1
tsp. of vanilla and a 1 tbls. Of cinnamon.   I don't bother rolling them
in cinnamon sugar as the recipe suggests.  I make different shapes and
ice them with Pillsbury vanilla icing when they come out.  They go over
very well.

*A lot of people wrote me asking how I made tortillas out of a Chebe mix.  I
didn't do anything special at all--just made the mix according to the
directions on the bag (using cheddar cheese), and then made small rounds of
dough (probably about six or seven in all), squished them as flat as I could
in the tortilla maker, then fried them on the tortilla maker until they were
browned and seemed done.  I made some of them thinner and crispier and they
looked a bit like matzo when they were done--which gives me an idea for next
Passover--but my son preferred the less well-cooked ones, which were softer
and chewier.