From:
Amanda Hayward-Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 16:46:49 -0400

Hi,

Its been a long time coming but here is the summary on replies I recieved to
"Bone Density and abdominal pain". Since It has been a while I will
reiterate the questions. I reported that my bone density test came back with
abnormal results and  asked about recommended levels of supplementation. In
addition I had been having some strange abdominal pains and I was asking if
people had any ideas what could be causing them.

Bone Density:

Most people agreed that the cause of the low bone density was years of
malabsorption due to celiac, rather than my recent aviodance of dairy
products. Nearly everyone recommended supplementation with 800-1500mg per
day. In addition it was suggested that I take Magnesium, Vitamin D and
Boron. Tums were not recommended as they gave some people symptoms ( I
believe they contain corn to which I am allergic)

Abdominal pain:

These replies were split into three groups. The first group suggested that I
had developed a new allergy. Suggestions included tea, cabbage, nuts, eggs,
fructose and calcium supplements. Im investigating the possibility and have
ruled out all these but think I may have a sensitivity to sunflower seeds
and iodized salt.
The second group suggested a hidden source of gluten. This seems most
likely. I have been extra careful in the last few weeks and am much better.
I think a potential source of gluten could have been some spices I was
using. The thrid group suggested that I have another medical condition. This
included ulcers, Crohns and gall bladder disease. I hope it is none of these!

Many thanks to all who replied, it was so helpful!

Amanda
Amanda Hayward-Lester Ph.D
Mooseker Lab, Dept of Biology
KBT 342