Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:27:44 -0500

Hello,

I am new to the group. My four-year-old son and I were both recently
diagnosed with celiac disease and are now on a gluten free diet. I think we
both might also have DH.

I am trying to find substitute ingredients to use in baking.

I just tried Bob's Red Mill GF brownie mix (I made the brownies using GF
oil, not butter, because I also wanted the end product to be dairy free).
Although I like the taste of the brownies, my abdomen bloated after eating
just one. My son also had a similar reaction. It has been several hours
since I ate the brownie and I am still bloated and belching, but I'm not
having itchy skin problems, so I think it is unlikely that there was gluten
in the mix. I'm wondering if the sorghum flour or the xanthan gum could have
caused this boating/gas problem.

Does anyone know if sorghum flour and or xanthan gum can cause
bloating/gas/indigestion? I don't have problems with products made with rice
flour or potato starch or with baking powder or baking soda.

I enjoy eating desserts, particularly chocolate desserts. I'm willing to
make brownies from scratch (without a mix). I would like to try to figure
out which combination of GF ingredients is least likely to cause
bloating/gas/indigestion, etc.

Thank you for your help. I'll post a summary of responses.

Alicia