From:
Bill Boelema <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 00:09:16 -0400

I've received enough response to my message that I'm going to give
summaries and tell what I seem to have figured out about my own non-celiac
self.  The story here.  (I may not get to all the posts tonight)

I've had a general state of not feeling so well for the past 15 years (my
age is 27) but somehow never thought it much different from normal.
Aah... I've been in grad school about 4 years now, and my life came to a
virtual halt about 2 years ago with stress and health problems (the latter
I assumed not of any real physical cause).  Finally saw an MD about *all
the problems late 1997 after slowly realizing there may be
physiologcial reasons for the problems (including abdominal and digestive
problems, fatigue, spacianess, dizziness, mental fog, mood swings).

The MD suggested B12 "allergy" at that visit, Crohn's (I also had an
absciss once of which they never determined the origin), and "gluten
allergy" she called it (I know that may be a misnomer).  Went to a
gastroenterologist, and finally (after a delay) had upper and lower
endoscopy May.  Both tests came back negative.

So I was still trying to figure out what the heck was going on.  I thought
I had eliminated almost everything that caused problems, but almost
nothinng seemed to work.  Then... I realized that stuff in detergents,
deodorants... other things like that (including contacting certain
plastics and rubbers) and air in certain buildings was... quite a problem.

So I sought help from a kinesiologist in Grand Rapids, Mi. while there
(because I knew he had helped people before with "allegies" - things like
this, actually - he was featured [I think] on a local station years ago
when I used to live there) who did a number of things (including
apparently stimulating the liver, and getting my adrenal gland to work
properlay) and gave me a supplement mostly of B and C vitamins called
that clears the brain fog, which he said was mostly caused by lactic acid.
The fellow out here I see now (another kinesiologist) gave me molybdenum,
which he said is often deficient in those with MCS, and is necessary
particular enzymes that convert aldehydes to function correctly.  I also
started taking vitamin E, because I've heard that helps detoxify (and
took some other supplements).... And I started thinking...  lactic acid
means sugar isn't being metablized correctly... I'm lactose intolerant,
which means I'm deficient in the active form of lactase...  So my 'working
hypotheis' was that my body  was lacking active forms of enzymes in
general.  So I went out and bought almost every metal mineral (often in
enzymes as cofactors) I could think of, and a started taking amino
acids - because (I reasoned) if you're lacking proper enzymes, you may be
lacking some important amino acids (components of enzymes, remember).

This is not medical advice (obviously) but some of the stuff I'm doing is
making a difference.  About a week ago was the first time I ate a meal
high in carobhydrates without getting a fuzzy headed feeling.  (I almost
cried :)

Stomach/abdominal problems are almost gone... I still get some ill effects
of things eaten/contacted... but things are a heck of a lot better.

sorry, its probably longer than you might have wanted :)