From:
Brian Ginn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Ginn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:15:23 -0800

Thanks to all who responded to my question.  Some specific answers, and some more general info...

Outback Steakhouses. www.outback.com  They have a new updated gluten free menu and a location map.

Try www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a guide with 50 national/regional restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free menu items.

in n out burger

I eat at Acapulco with no trouble.

There is El Pollo Loco for take out and I have also eaten at the
Indian restaurant on Gayley, have gotten
salads at the salad place on Lindbrook downstairs of the UCLA extention building and
LOVE Shaharazad, on So. Westwood Blvd on the 1400 block.  They have wonderful food, reasonable and lots of inherently GF items.  There are so many that I have not found it a problem at all.

PF Changs now has a gluten free menu on their website.  They also have them
to hand you at their restaurants.

In Glendale, there is Maurizio's.  They have gluten free bread, GF pizza, GF
lasagne, and can make just about all of their pasta dishes gluten free.
Their number is:  818-247-5600.

There are Thai restaurants and probably some Indian restaurants.
Just call and ask the Thai restaurants if the fish sauce and soy sauce
in their dishes has wheat in it.  If it is Kikkoman, it does.  Don't
get dishes made with oyster sauce.  Usually has wheat.

Indian restaurants - you'll have to ask.  Avoid the flat bread - it has
wheat.  The papadum (lentil "bread" - flat wafer) and sauces to dip
it in may or may not have wheat - just ask.  If they fry the papadum and
make other things in the oil, avoid it.

For other restaurants - Good fish places - ask them if they broil the fish
over wood or over charcoal.  If they don't broil, have them make it plain
(no seasoning) in a clean pan with real butter in it (or olive oil).  Baked
potatoes, plain salad (olive oil and squeeze some lemons on it) - no
croutons, etc. will work.