From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:55:40 -0500

>NOTE***** I am not an accountant, nothing I have stated should be taken =
>as financial advise.  As always, remember your tax situation is unique =
>and you should contact your tax advisor or the IRS for advise.

I would echo what Stacy says about contacting your tax pro. If you are
going to try to deduct food, you NEED a professional.

Take for instance some of the stuff in the publication Stacy pointed out.
To me, one line would indicate we can't deduct food. I am not, however, a
tax expert. Far from it.

"You cannot include the cost of diet food or beverages in medical expenses
because that substitutes for what you normally consume to satisfy your
nutritional needs."

Essentially, the special and expensive GF food we eat is not necessary for
our survival. All of us can eat quite well without GF bread and so on. I
know some people do deduct the food. I also know other people who have
talked to their accountants or lawyers and been told you're waving a red
flag in front of the IRS for a very small deduction. So be very careful.

I have no personal stake in this. My medical expenses don't even come close
to 7.5 percent of gross and I doubt that I spent even $75 last year on
special GF food. In fact, I'd say my food bill is smaller than before I
went GF because I don't eat out nearly as much.

cheers
richard