From:
Megan Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:51:14 -0500

Dear GFers,

Thanks for all your replies.  I was in a bit of a panic when I posted, but
feel better now and am planning to go ahead with both the upper and lower
GI on Jan. 31.  Many of you reassured me that I won't be intubated and that
the prep is the worst part of the whole thing.

I didn't realize that the upper GI is the required site for biopsy for
celiac diagnosis.  I really do not expect them to find anything after 8
years GF, and many of you pointed that out, but at age 43 I guess I ought
to have things checked out "just in case."

I received MANY responsed regarding the shared toaster.  I really am
beginning to consider the whole toaster thing.  I DO seem to be tired,
exhausted on weekends, and thought it was just from my job.  But that also
is the only time I'm likely to make toast, so I will have to test that.  We
actually use a toaster OVEN, so I'm not sure how crumbs could migrate onto
the metal rack.

Also, many said that if my diet has not been strict enough, the doctor may
be able to detect damage.  Actually, I would love it, since many of my
normal friends already think I'm psycho about the gluten thing.  I do
suspect I had a gluten-injected turkey at Xmas time, and several days of
leftovers, which may have been causing intestinal problems.

Also, thank you to the many who e-mailed to suggest various remedies,
including probiotics, vetratum alb (a homeopathic), checking for parasites
and hypochloria.

Since I have been GF for 8 years but my intestinal symptoms have only
appeared within the past year, i suspect the problem is some type of
infection or diverticulitis.  Unfortunately, the Drs say the can't do
anything until I have this testing done.  That's the system.  If you don't
mind, I'll let you all know how it goes.

I will be away from e-mail for the next 10 days, so I won't be replying to
any messages.

Megan  (in Ohio)