From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 16:20:59 -0500

I am curious to know why annatto is considered to be questionable --
there have been some postings in the past that mentioned this ingredient
in a dubious light.  Unable to find any clues in my home library, I
called Kraft, Inc. (1-800-323-0768) since my main source of annatto is
their Cracker Barrel Reduced Fat Extra Sharp Cheddar.  According to their
unnamed consumer service rep, annatto is derived from the pulp
surrounding the seed of the annatto tree fruit (a tropical fruit).  She
couldn't say whether or not this would be considered GF or not but
suggested that I call the Food Allergy Network (1-800-929-4040) for more
information.  They had no information on annatto, gluten or celiac
disease.  They were, however, very polite.  Can anyone shed light on the
annatto question?  Thank-you.

Jane (in VA)