From:
Graham J KENT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 21:17:58 +0000

Some weeks ago, I subitted an observation to the list about an article
I'd seen in an English newspaper which suggested that 'HT' could be
mistaken for Coeliac Disease and treated with 'Th'.

From the replies I've recieved it would appear that this is not quite
correct (that one is mistaken for the other!). It does seem, however,
that the two are linked with a possibility that CD contributes to (or
causes) 'HT'.

One quote from Ron Hoggan:

> 2. Rude RK, Olerich M, "Magnesium deficiency: possible role in osteoporosis
> associated with gluten-sensitive enteropathy"
> _Osteoporos Int_ 1996;6(6):453-461
>
> "Osteoporosis and magnesium (Mg) deficiency often occur in malabsorption
> syndromes such as gluten-sensitive enteropathy (GSE). Mg deficiency is
> known to impair parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion and action in humans
> and will result in osteopenia and increased skeletal fragility in animal
> models."
>
> Then later in the same abstract:
>
> "This study demonstrates that GSE patients have reduction in intracellular
> free Mg2+, despite being clinically asymptomatic on a gluten-free diet.
> Bone mass also appears to be reduced. Mg therapy resulted in a rise in PTH,
> suggesting that the intracellular Mg deficit was impairing PTH secretion in
> these patients. The increase in bone density in response to Mg therapy
> suggests that Mg depletion may be one factor contributing to osteoporosis
> in GSE."

I think this explains the point ... for me at least!

In December 1995 I broke my left ankle whilst walking on some wet grass.
I had a steel plate fitted and the break healed nicely (eventually). In
June 1996 I had an unofficial allergy test which suggested CD. In
December 1996 I was confirmed Coeliac. Since June 1995, I have been
Gluten-free.

... My point ... I went to hospital last week, had an x-ray and was told
that extra bone was growing close to the ankle near the site of the
previous fracture ... causing lots of pain!  I'm on the waiting list for
an operation, with no medication.

Oh well, I'll be seeing the Gastro in December ... ... ...

Stay healthy

Graham KENT
A Coeliac from Lincoln, England.