From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 1995 08:38:37 EDT

Claire Barclay wrote:

> ...I also wonder about commercially produced candy that is lactose
> and gluten free ie Mounds or anything else ok?

First of all, regarding Mounds:  A letter dated April 20, 1995 lists
all the Hershey Chocolate USA products that DO contain gluten.  Mounds
is not on the gluten list, so it should be safe for celiacs.  (We
asked for a list of all their products, so we could be sure which ones
Hershey makes.)  The letter was signed by Fran Long, Senior Consumer
Respondent.  The contact information for Hershey is listed below.

There is a long list of commercially produced candy that is gluten-
free, according to the individual manufacturers.  I won't try to list
them all.  Instead, I'll list the contact information for the
companies that produce these products.  Anyone who wants a list of
GF candies can contact me privately to find out how to get it.

Here are the companies which we have received information from during
1995, and that produce at least one GF candy (in the USA):

Hershey Chocolate U.S.A.
P.O. Box 815, 19 E. Chocolate Ave.
Hershey, PA  17033-0815
(800)468-1714, Fax: (717)534-5315