From:
John Poindexter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:59:57 -0500

Several people had the same questions about my all purpose flour. So I
will just try to answer them in just one posting.

First question, what is rice polish?— From what I understand it is the
part of the rice grain that is polished off to make white rice. It is
higher in vitamins & iron that white or brown rice. It contains part of
the bran & germ & a higher fiber content.

Next question, where to buy it? — It may be purchased at many health
food stores (I buy a case and get a discount) or directly from Ener-G
foods (1-800-331-5222) or from Miss Robens (301-898-4249).

Next question, Does it compare to Bette Hagman's mix or more like all
purpose wheat flour? — It compares to all purpose wheat flour. For
example, in my cookbooks (I do not use gluten-free cookbooks) I make
direct substitutions of my gluten free flour for wheat flour. However, I
have not baked a lot of yeast recipes. When I make donuts I make cake
donuts not have not made yeast. It might work I just have not had time.
Also when baking cakes you must use a recipe with eggs (this does not
apply to cookies). Finally when making a pie crust, I roll it out
between 2 sheets of cellophane.

The last question was about Tapioca starch.  There seems to be know
difference between Tapioca starch or Tapioca starch flour.  They both
work .

Thanks for your questions.  I hope you enjoy this for me and my  family
it was a God send and I cook and bake a lot and use it exclusively.

Cathy